DTI investigates China’s steel cargo

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) is currently investigating the safety of the 20,000 metric tons of steel cargo from China worth half a billion pesos at the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority.

“We are now conducting a required test procedure on a reported construction materials, specifically the steel rebar cargo, at the SBMA to ascertain its traceability, quality and safety pursuant to the law,” said Undersecretary and concurrent chief of DTI’s Consumers Protection Group Ted Pascua at a news conference in Quezon City.

On Dec. 8 last year, the questioned importation of the steel cargo was the subject of DTI’s cancellation or withdrawal of its import commodity clearance, the legal basis of its import entry documents from the Bureau of customs.

Despite the ICC cancellation, truckloads of steel cargo were released and sold to public on Dec. 19.

Pascua said the DTI's action is in response to the Filipino Consumers and Commuters complaint about the entry of the 20,000 metric tons of substandard steel bars.

UFCC president Rodolfo Javellana Jr., warned the public of the huge risk and loss of lives in case of a powerful earthquake, owing to the proliferation of substandard construction materials.

Unless stopped, the use of substandard construction materials could lead to disaster, he said. 

SOURCE: 

Manila Standard