The Duterte Administration's plan to achieve the golden age of infrastructure received cheers and support from the Philippine Constructors Association (PCA) Inc.
In the PCA Christmas Party held last Friday at the Shangri-La the Fort, guest speaker and Construction Industry Authority of the Philippines (CIAP) Undersecretary Ruth Castello said that the next six years will see an increase in the government’s infrastructure spending to approximately 5% of the GDP.
“The national government has allocated P9.5 trillion to be spent for the next five and a half years on infrastructure alone," Castello noted during her speech. "For 2017, P900 billion is allocated for various infrastructure projects.”
Earlier in November, the Duterte administration approved seven infrastructure projects worth P270 billion. These are the 1) Expansion of the Philippine Rural Development Project; 2) Improvement/Widening of General Luis-Kaybiga-Polo-Novaliches Road to Valenzuela City; 3) New Cebu International Port; 4) North-South Railway Project — South Line; 5) Malitubog-Maridagao Irrigation Project Stage 2; 6) the New Nayong Pilipino at Entertainment City; and 7) New Cebu International Port.
Castello also highlighted that in the first four months of the Duterte administration, nine major infrastructure projects have already been approved and bidded-out, with seven more projects awaiting approval by the end of December 2016.
According to Castello, this is an improvement when compared to twelve projects that the previous administration was able to bid out on the span of six years.
“We are both thrilled and optimistic about this news. For 71 years now, the PCA has been advocating construction and economic growth for the country. We'd like to see these projects realized and we'll be there to help,” said Dante M. Abando, President of PCA Inc.